Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Disciplinary Lenses, Ravitch

1. What is one specific way that your content research thus far has caused you to rethink about an idea, or question, or caused you to challenge assumptions that you had previously not considered - or -even pushed you further in your thinking?

My content research has definitely pushed me further in my thinking. Right now there is a boom of two things: technology and non-fiction (mostly due to CCSS), and my capstone project is about those two things working together. While there are articles explaining how there could become too much technology in the classroom, that it's detrimental to our children, that we need to pull back on it, there is much more explaining its benefits.

For my project I am developing a collaborative project in which students will work together to (eventually) create a non-fiction digital book of an animal of their choice that they've researched. There is a lot of research out there explaining how technology is simply more engaging than a paper and pencil. In addition, there is research that states that when students have the freedom to create something themselves that they are more invested and thus come away with more knowledge than they would have doing a project that was 100% teacher directed.

The articles that believe that there is too much technology in the classroom did give me pause. I thought to myself - what if they're right? I can definitely see where they're coming from, however, in a way, I believe that using technology can also foster in-person relationships as well. Students will have to collaborate with each other, communicate with each other, in order to complete the project. While they are using technology, a lot of the time students are working together in real life as well.

2.  How do you think the CCSS might fit into this narrative of school reform? In Chapter 9, Ravitch says critics argue that schools would improve if unions ceased to exist. What argument does she present based on available research? What do you think?

In general, I think Ravitch would like the idea of CCSS because it beefs up the current standards and focuses more on the 'how' instead of the 'what'. She realizes that the process of finding out the answer is just as important, if not moreso, than the answer itself.

As far as unions go, Ravitch presents a strong argument in her book. She cites teachers in Texas, which was a 'right to work' state, therefore it had no unions. Teachers were harassed, bullied, and frightened by these people who were dropping in unannounced or, basically, were spying on them.  She explains why teachers join unions: to have better working conditions and higher salaries.

What I particularly appreciate is when she notes that the Southern states, who have weak or no unions, typically have very poor performing schools. In the North (Massachusetts), they have strong unions and high performing schools. She is right - no one has done a study about the correlation to the strength of teachers' unions and academic performance.

What I do know is this: teachers are scapegoats for a lot of things. They are bullied and taken advantage of by the community, the government, and sometimes even the administration at their own schools.  So yes, a union is necessary. Are teachers unions (particularly in California) too strong? I don't think I'm educated enough to make a firm answer on that. What I do believe is that there is some compromise that we can arrive to. What that is, I'm not sure.

Blogs I responded to:
Allison Broude
Jessica Bender

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hilary!

    I am really interested in how you are going to combine nonfiction and technology in your capstone project and love the idea of creating a digital book about an animal. I am sure your students will love that idea too! I think that what you are researching will be very applicable to your teaching, for parents, and for your students. Even though you have found numerous studies warning you about the overuse of technology in the classroom, at least you are aware of it and already have a plan for making the process as collaborative as possible. I do agree with you when you say that teachers are scapegoats for a lot of things and that is one reason why it is nice to have a union to protect us. On the other side, I believe there are so many inefficiencies and fraud in the union that I find myself constantly going back and forth between whether they are good or not. I really appreciate your insights about the CCS and agree that they are much more process driven--yay! Great blog post Hilary!

    ReplyDelete