Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Session 1 Homework






1.  Describe how outside-school experiences have expanded or deepened your subject area content knowledge, and tell how it enhanced or changed your understanding. Include at least one specific experience.

 I firmly believe that it's crucial for everyone to get some learning done outside of the classroom. I am a kinesthetic visual learner, so for me it's especially important. I learn by doing and experiencing. I often  come away with a deeper understanding of the content than if I had stayed in the classroom. As a child, I remember going to the Exploratorium. Science was always difficult and uninteresting for me, but going to a place like that not only made learning fun and engaging, but I still can remember what it felt like to go into the tactile dome and make giant bubbles with friends. I specifically remember one area had information about the tectonic plates, and they simulated an earthquake. This resonated with me because I remember the 1989 earthquake!

2. Respond to the class discussion of Ball's "The Subject Matter Preparation of Teachers." Have your initial judgments or opinions changed based on the discussion?

My opinions have not changed all that much after having the discussion in class.  It was great to hear from a variety of people who teach varying subject matters and ages. I think that many of us talked about how teachers need more support in order to be a better teacher. They need to gain more knowledge in the content areas - simply  knowing how to teach is not enough. We also spoke about how 'alternative' methods of learning need to be in place as well - not only because people learn differently but we need to impress upon our students that we are teaching them tools for the real world, that what we are teaching them is important. I especially enjoyed the discussion surrounding what to teach and when - for example, one student in the class taught anatomy at a different time than would be taught at a public school. This made me see that sometimes things are too rigid - we need to be flexible and think what makes the most sense to our students, because if it makes sense to them, they will be more interested.

3. Where are you in developing and pursuing a line of inquiry? What is your question? Are you satisfied with your question? At this point, what do you know about the research available in this area? What ideas do you have for possible experiential learning sources?

 I'm pretty satisfied with my question. I think it not only is relevant to CCSS, but will also help me in my classroom.I have narrowed down my question and have thought a long time about what I want to do. My question is: Using 21st century skills, such as collaboration and technology, how can a group of students further their understanding of the aspects and content of non-fiction text? There is a lot of research about technology in the classroom, and I there is also research surrounding collaboration in the classroom. Whether there is research that discusses the combination of the two, I am not sure. As far as experiential resources, I was thinking that the students could visit a zoo (I plan for the hypothetical book to be about an animal chosen by the group) and research about their animal. They also could visit a museum.

4.  Feel free to add artwork, photographs, quotations, or personal experiences that connect to your content area. Express yourself.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary: I am so glad that I happened upon your post. I need to be reminded about our unique learning styles, and I think it's fascinating that you have figured out what yours is. The poster you added makes me laugh because it is so inspiring and it looks like something I want in my classroom. I need to play to construct knowledge, too.
    Are you planning on writing a book for your project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!

      Yes, the project will basically be a book. I am planning a unit where my hypothetical second graders will research an animal, and then they will make their own book online using either an ipad or computer. I haven't narrowed down what program to use, but I have used bookrix in the past and it could be a valid option.

      Delete
  2. Your comments about schools sometimes being too rigid really resonated with me. It may sound strange coming from an art teacher- I realize that art allows me to have a lot of freedom, even when adhering to the state standards. However, I think the high school format where there is little room for electives (especially in the lower grades) causes kids to be less than inspired.
    I also related to being a visual/kinesthetic learner. I admire your aspirations to create varied learning opportunities for your students that allow them to collaborate and move around. If you haven't already thought of it, maybe you could use the Exploratorium as a source, and have a little fun like when you were a kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you are an art teacher - your school is lucky to have you. We have art at my school but it is taught by parent volunteers ( same with PE, for grades K-3). I wish we had an art teacher! Some of my favorite memories in school are from art class.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete